In all aspects of my work, I believe passionately that music is for people to share, bringing together musician, listener, student, pupil - and I like to think of myself as a "musician who teaches".
As a teacher, I pass onto
my pupils all that was taught to me and am committed to nurturing their confidence and a love of music at the same time. As a performer, I see myself as a link between the composer and the listener - quite an awesome (but fantastic!) responsibility!
- Born and grew up in Loughborough, Leicestershire.
- Educated at Rawlins School, Quorn, where there was a wonderful music department.
- Studied piano with Gwen Preston
(Loughborough) and Grace Whitehall (Nottingham) - a pupil of Dame Myra Hess.
- Studied violin with Terence Davies (Nottingham) and Theory and Harmony with John Brydson (Loughborough)
- Passed all grades in Piano, Violin, Theory and General
Musicianship by age 14.
- Passed LRAM, ARCM and LTCL piano performing diplomas at age 15/16.
- Competed regularly in Music Festivals throughout the Midlands, gaining valuable performing experience and winning prizes and awards.
at The Royal College of Music (prizewinner) with Lamar Crowson, Bernard Roberts, Antonio Brosa and Bernard Shore, and The Birmingham Conservatoire with Frank Wibaut and Ernest Element.
- Passed LGSM (piano, teaching) and ARCM (viola, teaching) before
graduating in 1973.
- Played as freelance violinist/violist with the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, Bournemouth Sinfonietta and City of Birmingham Orchestra during student years.
- Auditioned for the Royal Scottish National Orchestra
1973, and joined the orchestra.
- Member of the RSNO Viola section from 1973-1988, also playing orchestral piano and harpsichord continuo.
- Accompanist when required for RSNO, for auditions and instrumental/vocal soloists.
with the baroque ensemble Cantilena from 1974-1984, recording commercially and for the BBC, playing in concert series and also appearing at Cheltenham, Aldeburgh and Edinburgh Festivals and the Queen Elizabeth Hall.
- Realised own harpsichord continuo
part for Vivaldi's Four Seasons, which was recorded commercially and broadcast on BBC Two.
- 1979-1989 Pianist with the Scottish Piano Trio and Allender Ensemble, with other members of the RSNO, performing in recital series and recording for the BBC.
- Performed the complete cycle of Beethoven Violin Sonatas with the Leader of the RSNO during the Year of Culture in Glasgow, in 1990.
- Adjudicated at Music Festivals in Glasgow and at the Scottish Conservatoire.
- Left the RSNO in 1988
to be with my young family and work as a freelance musician.
- 1993-2002 Musical Director of Patchwork Youth Theatre and Kaleidoscope Children's Theatre, presenting over 30 Musical Theatre productions and touring in the UK.
taught piano, theory and upper strings privately, and peripatetically for Renfrewshire and in private schools across Glasgow.
- 1978-2002 Accompanist for exams and concerts.
- In 2002 moved back to Loughborough for family reasons.
part-time upper strings teacher with Nottinghamshire Music Services
- 2002-2009 worked with the Music Dept of Loughborough College.
- 2008 gained PGCE teaching qualification, Greenwich University (distance learning).
- 2009-2012 upper
strings instructor with Leicestershire Schools Music Service
- 2002-present day freelance musician, as pianist and violist/violinist, playing in solo and chamber music settings.
- 2002-present day teacher of piano, theory, viola and violin,
working privately and with schools and colleges, also directing string groups.
- 2002-present day accompanist for music exams, concerts and recitals.
- 2002-present day adjucator for music competitions.
- Currently preparing
CD of Piano Favourites and planning concerts and recitals - more news to follow!